About Me

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Meatloaf recipe



Made a fantastic meatloaf last night. Served it with spaghetti squash and broccoli. Big hit.

Cooking may be the most social of the creative arts. Writing, in contrast, is a lonely pursuit while you are writing, and maddeningly fraught with social discourse when you are trying to market the fruits of your labor. With cooking, you've got all those wonderful smells to do the marketing for you, so all that's left socially is to serve it up and receive compliments.

Great Meatloaf Recipe

  1. 1.5 - 2.0 lbs meatloaf medley (I get mine from Publix. It's 1/3 ground pork & 2/3 ground chuck.)
  2. 1 egg
  3. 1 cup panko
  4. 1 cup milk (I use skim)
  5. 1 med carrot cut into tiny cubes
  6. 1/2 med onion, chopped fine
  7. 1/3 med red bell pepper
  8. 1 tbs vegetable bouillon (I use Better than Bouillon paste. Flavors are really intense.)
  9. 1/2 tsp salt
  10. 1/4 tsp black pepper
  11. 1/3 cup ketchup
  12. 2 tbs mustard
  13. 2 tbs brown sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine first 10 ingredients. Shape into a loaf and place on a slatted broiler pan to allow juices to drain off during cooking. Combine ketchup, mustard, and brown sugar and smear on top and sides of loaf to create a glaze. Bake for about an hour and a half, or until internal temp reaches 160 degrees F. Allow to cool for 5 - 10 minutes before slicing.

Next time I make this, I'm going to substitute shallot for part of the onion and sautee the onion, red pepper, and carrot before adding to the loaf mixture. This will serve 6 - 8 people pretty handily, or 4 with plenty left over for sandwiches the next day. Or you can do like me and have a slice for breakfast with a fried egg on top. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. Tell me what you like and what you don't. Information, encouragement, criticism--I don't care. A day where I don't learn something new is a day lost to me.