About Me

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Art Project

floating image inside bottle . . . so cool . . . and I made it!


I've been waiting approximately forever (maybe a year and a half) to get some commission work for my art. It's finally happened. While we were returning from the art show at my sister-in-law's house in Deland a couple of weeks ago, I got a call from an event planner in Miami wanting to know if I could duplicate one of my pieces that she had seen in my Etsy store, only using her images, to create centerpieces for a big 60th birthday party that she is doing.

Here's a picture of the piece that tickled her fancy . . . and that of her client. I call it Patron Cadillac. It's a 1954 Caddy on an empty Patron Silver tequila bottle. It looks pretty cool, if I do say so myself . . . and I do. You should too, because I know what the hell I'm talking about, and by now you should know that's true.

The neat thing about working with a commission client is that they challenge your processes trying to get exactly the effect that they want. The first thing that happened with these folks is that they thought, from looking at the pictures on Etsy, that the image was on the inside of the bottle. It is not. It is on the outside of the bottle, but when I realized that they wanted it to be on the inside because that's what they thought they were looking at, I had to figure out how to get it on the inside. So I did - because, you know, I'm kind of a genius when it comes to figuring out how to do obscure shit. Just saying.

Anyway, figuring that part out inspired me to take the concept several steps further. To that end I've got some ideas for interesting new stuff. Keep checking back, because whatever I come up with will be here first.











No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. Tell me what you like and what you don't. Information, encouragement, criticism--I don't care. A day where I don't learn something new is a day lost to me.